Alicat Scientific offers many cable types and lengths to connect your mass flow meter, pressure gauge or controller to a computer or programmable logic controller (PLC). Many cables are available in both single-ended and double-ended variations. Custom cable lengths are available for all single-ended cables.
If you don’t see what you need, we can create a custom cabling solution. We will do all we can to get you connected!
8-pin mini-DIN cables (DC series)
Wire colors for 8-pin mini-DIN cables are labeled according to our standard 8-pin mini-DIN pinout:
- Black – primary 4-20 mA current analog output
- Brown – secondary analog output (if used, DC only)
- Red – RS-232 digital serial input
- Orange – setpoint input or remote tare (via grounding)
- Yellow – RS-232 digital serial output
- Green – primary 0-5, 1-5 or 0-10 volt DC analog output
- Blue – DC power input
- Purple/White – ground
6-pin locking industrial cables (IC series)
Wire colors for 6-pin locking industrial cables are labeled according to our standard 6-pin industrial pinout:
- Black – ground
- Brown – primary DC voltage or 4-20 mA current analog output
- Red – DC power input
- Green – setpoint input or remote tare (via grounding)
- Blue – RS-232 digital serial output
- White – RS-232 digital serial input
9-pin and 15-pin D-sub cables (DB series)
Double-ended D-sub cables
Double-ended (female-female) D-sub cables can be used to connect Alicat instruments with male D-sub connectors to programmable logic controllers (PLC’s) and other devices with the same connector.
- 9-pin: 10 ft/3.0 m (Part 510199)
- 15-pin: 15 ft/4.6 m (Part 510368)
*Note: Alicat instruments equipped with 9-pin D-sub connectors do not have the same pinouts as common serial cables. Proper connection to computer serial ports is accomplished via our MD8DB9 8-pin mini-DIN to serial adapter cable.
Single-ended D-sub cables
The 15-pin D-sub cable is also available as a single-ended cable in custom cable lengths of less than 25 feet. The blunt end of this cable is labeled with colors and pin numbers that correspond to Alicat’s several 15-pin D-sub pinout options.
- 15-pin: 15 ft/4.6 m (Part DBC-251)
8-pin mini-DIN to 9-pin serial (D-sub)
The best way to connect a single Alicat device to a serial port on a computer is by using our MD8DB9 8-pin mini-DIN to 9-pin serial adapter cable (6 ft/1.8m length). This cable directly converts the ground, transmit and receive signals from the 8-pin mini-DIN that is standard on most Alicat instruments to the corresponding pins on a computer’s 9-pin D-sub serial port.
To connect multiple Alicat devices to a computer with a single serial port, please see our multi-drop breakout boxes.
8-pin mini-DIN to USB 2.0
Alicat instruments may be connected to computers USB ports by using our 8-pin to USB conversion cables.These cables transmit serial communications (RS-232 or RS-485) but will not power your Alicat instrument from a computer’s USB port. Your computer may require the installation of a USB device driver.
- RS-232: 6 ft/1.8 m (USB-MD8-232)
- RS-485: 6 ft/1.8 m (USB-MD8-485)
Other connectors are possible on this custom USB conversion cable:
- 6-pin (male) to USB for RS-232: 6 ft/1.8 m (USB-IC-232)
- 6-pin (male) to USB for RS-485: 6 ft/1.8 m (USB-IC-485)
- 9-pin (female) D-sub to USB for RS-232: 6 ft/1.8 m (USB-DB9-232)
- 9-pin (female) D-sub to USB for RS-485: 6 ft/1.8 m (USB-DB9-485)
- 15-pin (male) D-sub to USB for RS-232: 6 ft/1.8 m (USB-DB15-232)
- 15-pin (male) D-sub to USB for RS-485: 6 ft/1.8 m (USB-DB15-485)
To connect multiple devices to a computer using a single USB port, please see our multi-drop breakout boxes.
8-pin mini-DIN to 8-pin M12 locking
This cable is specifically built to convert Alicat’s M12 8 pin locking connector (commonly found on -BIO units) to work with other devices using the 8-pin mini-DIN, such as an Alicat BB9 or BB3 multi-drop breakout boxes.
- RS-232: 6 ft/1.8 m (MD8M128C-62)