Minimizing flow lines & reducing spares inventory for simplest operation and maintenance
A global biologics manufacturer used the Bio-Series to simplify the flow lines in their commercial production facility. The final design used Alicat’s 10,000:1 turndown range to simplify the flow lines.
There are now fewer potential failure points, with fewer spare devices required: a single Alicat can be swapped into any point in this system, no recalibration required.
Flow systems for every phase of biologics development
To get your drugs to the patients who need them, fast: solutions for R&D, pilot plants, clinical trials, and cGMP sites.
All Alicats are environmentally stable, fully configurable, and robust enough to handle a buffer spill.
Use our standard devices, or work with our engineering team on a custom setup. Protocols in place to meet copy exact requirements.
For scientists, flexibility to experiment with cell lines and seed trains.
A single flow controller can meet your flow ranges, for any gas, without requiring recalibration. Controlled using the standup interface, LabVIEW or Python.
Saving cost and benchtop space means more room for the rest of your equipment.
For automation engineers, scalability to integrate control systems early.
Flow controllers with a 10,000:1 turndown range give unmatched scalability, so you can keep using them as you scale.
Analog, serial, and industrial communications protocols make data transfers simple.
For system designers, configuration & customization for validated systems.
Preventative maintenance for valves and filters built in, ready to be integrated with your SCADA and other data centers.
Options for 316L stainless steel, USP Class VI elastomers, IP66, and ATEX C1D2 ensure compatibility even in highly regulated environments.
Back pressure control & drop-in compatibility for scale out & scale down
Tools to use to plan for scale-up
1. Plan for FDA approvals. Invest early in equipment capacity, prepare your supply chain accordingly, and mitigate the risks of doing this early with flexible, small-volume manufacturing.
2. Design for commercial, GMP from the outset. Ensure your tools will scale and your design will transfer smoothly to a cleanroom. Early cost outputs will be offset by uptime increases.
3. Strengthen your supply chain. Ensure vendor qualifications aren’t a bottleneck and all vendors can meet the volumes necessary for production.
4. Back to basics – lean manufacturing. Move toward continuous or perfusion processes where able. Keep up continuous improvement practices to future proof your setup.
5. Use your pilot plants. Engineering, clinical, commercial, regulatory, manufacturing, and process requirements should all come together early.
Headspace monitoring for real-time control of culture growth
Measuring outgassed material in the headspace is a powerful tool for understanding the metabolic activity of your cell culture and the effectiveness of your bioreactor or fermentation setup.
While it is more resource intensive than simply measuring dissolved oxygen and pH, outgassing measurements ensure that your culture is healthy, that you can maximize your yields, and that you can effectively scale the reaction.
Custom bioreactor control systems
Not finding the flow solutions you need for your bioreactor or fermentation control system? We have of trillions of configurations and a full custom engineering team.