Minimizing flow lines and reducing spares inventory simplifies operation and maintenance
A wide 10,000:1 turndown means a single Alicat can be swapped into any point in this system with no need for recalibration.
One global biologics manufacturer used the Bio-Series to simplify the flow lines at its commercial production facility, decreasing failure points and minimizing the need for spares.
Flow systems for every phase of biologics development
Alicats are environmentally stable, fully configurable, and robust enough to handle a buffer spill – making them ideal for R&D, pilot plants, or commercial manufacturing sites.
Use our standard devices, or work with our engineering team on a custom setup designed to meet exact process requirements.
Instrumentation in bioreactor and fermentation research
Alicat instrumentation is used in research focused on emerging technologies in the bioreactor and fermentation industry.
This research is exploring topics such as porous burners, macroalgae and pine blends as bioreactor fuel, and biotrickling filters to upgrade biogas.
Back pressure control and drop-in compatibility for scale out and scale down
Native Microbials improves livestock quality of life, productivity, and sustainability by using Alicat flow controllers in scaled down parallel fermentation processes.
Tools to use to plan for scale-up
- Plan for FDA approvals. Invest early in equipment capacity, prepare your supply chain accordingly, and mitigate risks with flexible, small-volume manufacturing.
- Design for commercial, GMP from the outset. Ensure scalability and easy transition to a cleanroom. Early cost outputs are offset by increased uptime.
- Strengthen supply chain. Ensure vendor qualifications aren’t a bottleneck and all vendors can meet the volumes necessary for production.
- Back to basics – lean manufacturing. Move toward continuous or perfusion processes where able. Keep up continuous improvement practices to future proof your setup.
- Use your pilot plants. Engineering, clinical, commercial, regulatory, manufacturing, and process requirements should all come together early.
Headspace monitoring for real-time control of culture growth
Measuring outgassed material in the headspace is a powerful tool to track the metabolic activity of your cell culture.
While more resource intensive than simply measuring dissolved oxygen and pH, it maximizes yield and improves scalability.
Custom bioreactor control systems
Not finding the flow solutions you need for your bioreactor or fermentation control system?