Laboratory-grade flow verification in 20 seconds!
Stopping an operational process for validation or calibration is a necessary evil. Alicat’s portable flow calibrators make this procedure more palatable by reducing the downtime and disruption to your process. Instant-on and real-time readings for multiple gases across wide flow ranges let you get in and out quickly.
Brochure Specs Manual
Making You Faster
- Now including COMPOSER™ gas composition software!
- 5-ms speed of response.
- No warm-up required: ready to calibrate in one second.
- Stand-alone unit: no need for computer or external power.
- All flow data visible on one screen (mass flow, volumetric flow, absolute pressure, temperature).
- High-efficiency lithium-ion battery for 18 hours of continuous operation with monochrome displays (5 hours with backlit color displays).
- Digital and analog outputs.
MB Standard Series
Calibrate on the go with the fastest flow verifier in the world. Enjoy 18 hours of continuous operation with monochrome displays, or 5-6 hours with backlit color displays. Max range: 0-4000 slpm.
MWB Low Pressure Drop Series
Minimize system impact with pressure drops as low as 4 mbar at full-scale flows. Alicat “Whisper” Series meters also respond faster in leak testing applications. Max range: 0-500 slpm. (Device shown with optional color display.)
MWB Specs Go to Whisper page.
MBS Anti-Corrosive Series
Withstand corrosion caused by aggressive gases with durable 316L stainless steel. Click the “Quick Specs” tab for a listing of included corrosive gas calibrations. Max range: 0-4000 slpm. (Device shown with optional color display.)
PCU Multi-Range Portable Calibration Unit
Alicat’s PCU-Series portable calibration units are secondary calibration standards that can go anywhere to verify the operation of flow equipment. Each PCU combines up to three custom-ranged mass flow meters with totalizers and high-accuracy calibration (0.4% reading + 0.2% full-scale range). These are housed inside a rugged industrial carrying case and powered by two 9-volt batteries (AC connections also included). The PCU includes integrated push-connect fittings for each meter, plus a copy of Alicat’s Flow Vision SC™ software. Also available in our “Whisper” low pressure drop configuration (PCUW Series).
PCU Specs PCU Manual
Common Instrument Options
- High-accuracy calibration, permits use of the calibrator as a secondary transfer standard.
- Bidirectional flow calibration, enables full-scale readings in both flow directions.
- Integrated flow totalizer, provides cumulative readings of total quantity flowed over time.
- Backlit color display, shines in low lighting with 5 hours of continuous operation on a single charge.
View other available instrument options here.
LB Liquid Flow Series
Verify liquid processes with the fastest response time available in a liquid flow meter (20 ms). Available in ranges to 0-10 lpm. Click here for more information about our Liquid Flow Series.
- Standard MB/MWB/MBS accuracy (NIST-traceable): +/- (0.8% of the reading + 0.2% of the full-scale range)
- Optional MB/MWB/MBS and standard PCU high-accuracy calibration: +/- (0.4% of the reading + 0.2% of the full-scale range)
- Accuracy specs apply to preloaded and COMPOSER™ gas calibrations.
- Typical flow reading response time constant: 5 ms (may be up to 10 ms under very low flow conditions)
- MB ranges: any full-scale range from 0-0.5 sccm to 0-250 slpm (MWB) or 0-4000 slpm (MB/MBS)
- Available PCU ranges: any three full-scale ranges from 0-0.5 sccm to 0-250 slpm (PCUW) or 0-1500 slpm (PCU)
- Standard linear range: 0.5-100% of full scale, 200:1 turndown
- 316L linear range: 1-100% of full scale, 100:1 turndown (MBS series)
- Maximum line pressure: 145 psig (standard) or 50 psig (MWB/PCUW series)
- Standard pressure drop: 1-9 psi at full scale, depending upon flow range
- “Whisper” (MWB/PCUW) pressure drop: 0.06-0.69 psi at full scale, depending upon flow range
- Standard communications: RS-232 digital and 0-5 volt analog
- Optional analog communications: 1-5v, 0-10v, 4-20 mA; secondary outputs also available
- MB connectors: 8-pin mini-DIN (communications and power) and micro-USB-B (power only)
- PCU connectors: 9-pin D-sub serial port (communications only) and barrel-type jack (power)
- Simultaneous real-time readings of mass flow, volumetric flow, absolute pressure and temperature
- Standard display: 2.1″ monochrome LCD digital display with touch pad interface
- Optional 2.1″ backlit color TFT digital display with touch pad interface
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Meter unaffected by bumps, humidity or changes in orientation
Gas Select™ 5.0 Gas List for Alicat Mass Flow Meters and Controllers
All Alicat Scientific mass flow meters and mass flow controllers come standard with NIST Ref Prop 9 gas properties data for up to 130 preloaded gas calibrations. Users may switch between selected gases on the fly without any need for recalibration of the mass flow meter or controller. All Gas Select™ calibrations retain the instrument’s specified NIST-traceable calibration accuracy. (See individual specifications sheets for details.)
Bioreactor Gas Mixes
|• Acetylene (C2H2)
• Argon (Ar)
• i-Butane (i-C4H10)
• n-Butane (n-C4H10)
• Carbon dioxide (CO2)
• Carbon monoxide (CO)
• Deuterium (D2)
• Ethane (C2H6)
• Ethylene/Ethene (C2H4)
• Helium (He)
• Hydrogen (H2)
• Krypton (Kr)
• Methane (CH4)
• Neon (Ne)
• Nitrogen (N2)
• Nitrous Oxide (N2O)
• Oxygen (O2)
• Propane (C3H8)
• Sulfur Hexafluoride (SF6)
• Xenon (Xe)
|• 5% CH4 95% CO2
• 10% CH4 90% CO2
• 15% CH4 85% CO2
• 20% CH4 80% CO2
• 25% CH4 75% CO2
• 30% CH4 70% CO2
• 35% CH4 65% CO2
• 40% CH4 60% CO2
• 45% CH4 55% CO2
• 50% CH4 50% CO2
• 55% CH4 45% CO2
• 60% CH4 40% CO2
• 65% CH4 35% CO2
• 70% CH4 30% CO2
• 75% CH4 25% CO2
• 80% CH4 20% CO2
• 85% CH4 15% CO2
• 90% CH4 10% CO2
• 95% CH4 5% CO2
|*These gases require MS/MCS-Series instruments.
• Ammonia (NH3)
• Butylene (1-Butene)
• Cis-Butene (cis-2-Butene)
• Carbonyl Sulfide (COS)
• Chlorine (Cl2), *meters only
• Dimethylether (CH3OCH3)
• Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
• Nitrogen Trifluoride (NF3)
• Nitric Oxide (NO)
• Propylene (C3H6)
• Silane (SiH4)
• Sulfur Dioxide (SO2), *meters only
|Breathing Gases||Fuel Gas Mixes||Refrigerants|
|• EAN-32 (32% O2+68% N2)
• EAN-36 (36% O2+64% N2)
• EAN-40 (40% O2+60% N2)
• EA-40 (40% O2+60% Air)
• EA-60 (60% O2+40% Air)
• EA-80 (80% O2+20% Air)
• Heliox-20 (20% O2+80% He)
• Heliox-21 (21% O2+79% He)
• Heliox-30 (30% O2+70% He)
• Heliox-40 (40% O2+60% He)
• Heliox-50 (50% O2+50% He)
• Heliox-60 (60% O2+40% He)
• Heliox-80 (80% O2+20% He)
• Heliox-99 (99% O2+1% He)
• Metabolic Exhalant (16% O2+78.04% N2+5% CO2+0.96% Ar)
|• Coal Gas 50% H2+35% CH4+10% CO+5% C2H4
• Endothermic Gas 75% H2+25% N2
• HHO 66.67% H2+33.33% O2
• LPG HD-5 96.1% C3H8+1.5% C2H6+0.4% C3H6+1.9% n-C4H10
• LPG HD-10 85% C3H8+10% C3H6+ 5% n-C4H10
• Nat Gas 93% CH4+3% C2H6+1% C3H8+2% N2+1% CO2
• Nat Gas 95% CH4+3% C2H6+1% N2+ 1% CO2
• Nat Gas 95.2% CH4+2.5% C2H6+0.2% C3H8+0.1% C4H10+1.3% N2+0.7% CO2
• Syn Gas 40% H2+29% CO+20% CO2+11% CH4
• Syn Gas 64% H2+28% CO+1% CO2+7% CH4
• Syn Gas 70% H2+4% CO+25% CO2+1% CH4
• Syn Gas 83% H2+14% CO+3% CH4
|*These gases require MS/MCS-Series instruments.
• R-11 Trichlorofluoromethane (CCl3F)
• R-14 Tetrafluoromethane (CF4)
• R-22 Difluoromonochloromethane (CHClF2)
• R-23 Trifluoromethane (CHF3)
• R-32 Difluoromethane (CH2F2)
• R-115 Chloropentafluoroethane (C2ClF5)
• R-116 Hexafluoroethane (C2F6)
• R-124 Chlorotetrafluoroethane (C2HClF4)
• R-125 Pentafluoroethane (C2HF5)
• R-134A Tetrafluoroethane (CH2FCF3)
• R-142B Chlorodifluoroethane (CH3CClF2)
• R-143A Trifluoroethane (C2H3F3)
• R-152A Difluoroethane (C2H4F2)
• RC-318 Octafluorocyclobutane (C4F8)
• R-404A (44% R-125+4% R-134A+52% R-143A)
• R-407C (22% R-32+25% R-125+52% R-134A)
• R-410A (50% R-32+50% R-125)
• R-507A (50% R-125+50% R-143A)
|Chromatography Gases||Oxygen Concentrator Gas Mixes|
|• P-5 (5% CH4+95% Ar)
• P-10 (10% CH4+90% Ar)
|• 89% O2+7% N2+4% Ar
• 93% O2+3% N2+4% Ar
• 95% O2+1% N2+4% Ar
|Welding Gases||Stack/Flue Gas Mixes||Laser Gas Mixes|
|• C-2 (2% CO2+98% Ar)
• C-8 (8% CO2+92% Ar)
• C-10 (10% CO2+90% Ar)
• C-15 (15% CO2+85% Ar)
• C-20 (20% CO2+80% Ar)
• C-25 (25% CO2+75% Ar)
• C-50 (50% CO2+50% Ar)
• C-75 (75% CO2+25% Ar)
• He-25 (25% He+75% Ar)
• He-50 (50% He+50% Ar)
• He-75 (75% He+25% Ar)
• He-90 (90% He+10% Ar)
• A1025 (90% He+7.5% Ar+2.5% CO2)
• Stargon CS (90% Ar+8% CO2+2% O2)
|• 2.5% O2+10.8% CO2+85.7% N2+1% Ar
• 2.9% O2+14% CO2+82.1% N2+1% Ar
• 3.7% O2+15% CO2+80.3% N2+1% Ar
• 7% O2+12% CO2+80% N2+1% Ar
• 10% O2+9.5% CO2+79.5% N2+1% Ar
• 13% O2+7% CO2+79% N2+1% Ar
|• 4.5% CO2+13.5% N2+82% He
• 6% CO2+14% N2+80% He
• 7% CO2+14% N2+79% He
• 9% CO2+15% N2+76% He
• 9.4% CO2+19.25% N2+71.35% He
• 9% Ne+91% He
Ask Alicat: What is the fastest way to validate flow rates?
Alicat Scientific’s rechargeable mass flow meters deliver laboratory-class accuracy in a handheld instrument that lasts 18 hours on a single charge.
Ask Alicat: How tough is an Alicat flow meter? (Drop Test)
We drop an Alicat portable mass flow meter onto unforgiving concrete from increasing heights to test the toughness of this product. After each drop, we compare its measurement to the pre-test baseline.
Ask Alicat: What Is Pressure Drop?
Pressure drop is the amount of line pressure that is permanently lost as gas passes through an instrument in a gas line. Alicat Scientific demonstrates the importance of pressure drop for gas flow processes and shows how you can greatly reduce pressure drop by using its Whisper Series of mass flow instruments.
In the MB/MWB/MBS Box
- Portable flow calibrator (fully charged)
- Micro USB power adapter and cable
- NIST-traceable calibration certificate
- Alicat operating manual
In the PCU Box
Calibration of multiple flow instruments
Alicat’s portable calibration units (PCU) combine three battery-powered flow meters of complimentary ranges in a single case, each with totalizer and NIST-traceable high-accuracy calibration to a primary flow standard. With three overlapping measurement ranges, the PCU is capable of a total turndown of a million to one, making this an extremely versatile instrument.
Calibration of an Air Sampling Canister
Rapidly calibrate across multiple ranges and gases without carrying a computer. NIST-traceable high-accuracy calibration makes your portable a transfer standard. “Whisper” low pressure drop enables non-intrusive volumetric flow calibration.
See the full app note here.
In-House Flow Verification for a Gas Chromatograph
Verify the proper operation of flowing processes in real time. Simultaneous flow and pressure readings improve validation efficiency. Accurate, and repeatable measurements exceed the reporting standards of external auditors.
See the full app note here.