Mass flow meters: high-accuracy, multi-parameter flow measurement in real time
Mass flow metering, volumetric flow, pressure and temperature measurements simultaneously. Built in calibration for many gases, or define your own custom gas mix using COMPOSER™…all on one instrument. Such versatility ensures your mass flow measurement is accurate in every situation, even as your process conditions change.
Brochure Specs Mass Flow Meter Manual
Making You Faster
- Numerous user-selectable engineering units.
- Includes COMPOSER™ gas composition firmware.
- 5-ms speed of response.
- No warm-up required: ready to operate in one second.
- Stand-alone unit: no need for computer or PLC.
- All flow data visible on one screen (metering mass flow, volumetric flow, absolute pressure, temperature).
- Digital and analog outputs.
Questions about Meters?
Mass Flow Meter: M Standard Series
- Alicat M-Series Part Numbers
The mass flow meter M-Series by Alicat Scientific is a digital/analog instrument. It’s an accurate, repeatable, and customizable mass flow meter designed to be used in a variety of applications. Our patented laminar flow technology delivers incredibly fast and inherently linear mass flow measurement over a broad 200:1 turndown range. Ranges at flows as low as 2.5 microliters per minute and as high as 4000 slpm.
Mass Flow Meter MW Low Pressure Drop Series
- Alicat MW-Series Part Numbers
Minimize system impact while measuring mass flow! With pressure drops as low as 4 mbar (0.06 psid) at full-scale flows, mass flow meters in the Alicat “Whisper” Series enable flow measurement at near-atmospheric pressures, perfect for aerospace and environmental gas analysis applications. Max range: 0-500 slpm.
MW Specs Go to Whisper Mass Flow Meters.
Mass Flow Meters for High Pressure Systems: MQ High Pressure Series
- Alicat MQ-Series Part Numbers
For high pressure applications, Alicat’s MQ series meters handle ranges between 30 PSIA and 320 PSIA (1.03 to 22 bar). These meters offer the great Alicat flexibility of 98 full calibration gases (with 20 custom mix slots), multivariate display and digital plus analog communications which are standard on our core products. Check the specifications for explicit compatibilities.
Mass Flow Meter: MS Anti-Corrosive Series
- Alicat MS-Series Part Numbers
Mass flow meters in the MS Series withstand corrosion caused by aggressive gases such as NH3, H2S and SiH4 with durable 316L stainless steel. All ranges available. Click the “Quick Specs” tab for a listing of included corrosive gas calibrations.
MB and PCU Portable Calibration Series
- Alicat MB-Series Part Numbers
- Alicat MWB-Series Part Numbers
- Alicat MBS-Series Part Numbers
Integrated rechargeable lithium-ion batteries make for laboratory-grade flow verification that you can take with you anywhere. May be customized as “Whisper” (MWB) or anti-corrosive (MBS) portable mass flow calibrators. Alicat’s Portable Calibration Unit (PCU) houses three mass flow meters in a single battery-powered case for the widest possible calibration range. Click here for more information about our portable meters and calibrators.
MB Specs PCU Specs Go to Portables page.
Common Mass Flow Metering Instrument Options
- High-accuracy calibration, permits use of the mass flow meter as a secondary transfer standard.
- Bidirectional flow calibration, enables full-scale readings in both flow directions.
- Integrated flow totalizer, provides cumulative readings of total quantity flowed over time.
- CSA Class 1 Division 2 (ATEX Zone 2) Area Classification, permits operation in hazardous environments.
- 9-pin or 15-pin D-sub connectors, configured to match any existing pinout.
- Modbus-RTU, available over RS-232 or RS-485. PROFIBUS also available.
- Backlit color display, shines in low lighting environments.
View other available instrument options here.
L Liquid Flow Series
Measure liquid flows with the fastest response time available in a liquid flow meter (20 ms). Available in ranges to 0-10 lpm.
- Standard accuracy (NIST-traceable): +/- (0.8% of the reading + 0.2% of the full-scale range)
- Optional high-accuracy calibration: +/- (0.4% of the reading + 0.2% of the full-scale range)
- Accuracy specs apply to preloaded and COMPOSER™ gas calibrations.
- Typical flow reading response time constant: 5 ms (may be up to 10 ms under very low flow conditions)
- Available mass flow metering ranges: any full-scale range from 0-0.5 sccm to 0-4000 slpm
- Standard linear range: 0.5-100% of full scale, 200:1 turndown
- 316L linear range: 1-100% of full scale, 100:1 turndown (MS series)
- Maximum line pressure: 145 psig (standard) or 50 psig (MW series)
- Standard pressure drop: 1-9 psi at full scale, depending upon flow range
- “Whisper” (MW) mass flow meter pressure drop: 0.06-0.69 psi at full scale, depending upon flow range
- Standard communications: RS-232 digital and 0-5 volt analog
- Optional analog communications: 1-5v, 0-10v, 4-20 mA; secondary outputs also available
- Optional communications protocols: RS-485, Modbus RTU (over RS-232 or RS-485), PROFIBUS
- Standard connector: 8-pin mini-DIN
- Optional connector: 9-pin or 15-pin D-sub connectors, configured to match any existing pinout
- Simultaneous real-time readings of mass flow, volumetric flow, absolute pressure and temperature
- Standard display: 2.1″ monochrome LCD digital display with touch pad interface
- Optional 2.1″ backlit color TFT digital display with touch pad interface
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Meter unaffected by bumps, humidity or changes in orientation
Gas Select™ 5.0 Gas List for Alicat Mass Flow Meters and Controllers
All Alicat Scientific mass flow meters and mass flow controllers come standard with NIST Ref Prop 9 gas properties data for up to 130 preloaded gas calibrations. Users may switch between selected gases on the fly without any need for recalibration of the mass flow meter or controller. All Gas Select™ calibrations retain the instrument’s specified NIST-traceable calibration accuracy. (See individual specifications sheets for details.)
|Pure Gases||Bioreactor Gas Mixes||Pure Corrosives|
|• Acetylene (C2H2)
• Argon (Ar)
• i-Butane (i-C4H10)
• n-Butane (n-C4H10)
• Carbon dioxide (CO2)
• Carbon monoxide (CO)
• Deuterium (D2)
• Ethane (C2H6)
• Ethylene/Ethene (C2H4)
• Helium (He)
• Hydrogen (H2)
• Krypton (Kr)
• Methane (CH4)
• Neon (Ne)
• Nitrogen (N2)
• Nitrous Oxide (N2O)
• Oxygen (O2)
• Propane (C3H8)
• Sulfur Hexafluoride (SF6)
• Xenon (Xe)
|• 5% CH4 95% CO2
• 10% CH4 90% CO2
• 15% CH4 85% CO2
• 20% CH4 80% CO2
• 25% CH4 75% CO2
• 30% CH4 70% CO2
• 35% CH4 65% CO2
• 40% CH4 60% CO2
• 45% CH4 55% CO2
• 50% CH4 50% CO2
• 55% CH4 45% CO2
• 60% CH4 40% CO2
• 65% CH4 35% CO2
• 70% CH4 30% CO2
• 75% CH4 25% CO2
• 80% CH4 20% CO2
• 85% CH4 15% CO2
• 90% CH4 10% CO2
• 95% CH4 5% CO2
|*These gases require MS/MCS-Series instruments.
• Ammonia (NH3)
• Butylene (1-Butene)
• Cis-Butene (cis-2-Butene)
• Carbonyl Sulfide (COS)
• Chlorine (Cl2)
• Dimethylether (CH3OCH3)
• Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
• Nitrogen Trifluoride (NF3)
• Nitric Oxide (NO)
• Propylene (C3H6)
• Silane (SiH4)
• Sulfur Dioxide (SO2)
|Breathing Gases||Fuel Gas Mixes||Refrigerants|
|• EAN-32 (32% O2+68% N2)
• EAN-36 (36% O2+64% N2)
• EAN-40 (40% O2+60% N2)
• EA-40 (40% O2+60% Air)
• EA-60 (60% O2+40% Air)
• EA-80 (80% O2+20% Air)
• Heliox-20 (20% O2+80% He)
• Heliox-21 (21% O2+79% He)
• Heliox-30 (30% O2+70% He)
• Heliox-40 (40% O2+60% He)
• Heliox-50 (50% O2+50% He)
• Heliox-60 (60% O2+40% He)
• Heliox-80 (80% O2+20% He)
• Heliox-99 (99% O2+1% He)
• Metabolic Exhalant (16% O2+78.04% N2+5% CO2+0.96% Ar)
|• Coal Gas 50% H2+35% CH4+10% CO+5% C2H4
• Endothermic Gas 75% H2+25% N2
• HHO 66.67% H2+33.33% O2
• LPG HD-5 96.1% C3H8+1.5% C2H6+0.4% C3H6+1.9% n-C4H10
• LPG HD-10 85% C3H8+10% C3H6+ 5% n-C4H10
• Nat Gas 93% CH4+3% C2H6+1% C3H8+2% N2+1% CO2
• Nat Gas 95% CH4+3% C2H6+1% N2+ 1% CO2
• Nat Gas 95.2% CH4+2.5% C2H6+0.2% C3H8+0.1% C4H10+1.3% N2+0.7% CO2
• Syn Gas 40% H2+29% CO+20% CO2+11% CH4
• Syn Gas 64% H2+28% CO+1% CO2+7% CH4
• Syn Gas 70% H2+4% CO+25% CO2+1% CH4
• Syn Gas 83% H2+14% CO+3% CH4
|*These gases require MS/MCS-Series instruments.
• R-11 Trichlorofluoromethane (CCl3F)
• R-14 Tetrafluoromethane (CF4)
• R-22 Difluoromonochloromethane (CHClF2)
• R-23 Trifluoromethane (CHF3)
• R-32 Difluoromethane (CH2F2)
• R-115 Chloropentafluoroethane (C2ClF5)
• R-116 Hexafluoroethane (C2F6)
• R-124 Chlorotetrafluoroethane (C2HClF4)
• R-125 Pentafluoroethane (C2HF5)
• R-134A Tetrafluoroethane (CH2FCF3)
• R-142B Chlorodifluoroethane (CH3CClF2)
• R-143A Trifluoroethane (C2H3F3)
• R-152A Difluoroethane (C2H4F2)
• RC-318 Octafluorocyclobutane (C4F8)
• R-404A (44% R-125+4% R-134A+52% R-143A)
• R-407C (22% R-32+25% R-125+52% R-134A)
• R-410A (50% R-32+50% R-125)
• R-507A (50% R-125+50% R-143A)
|Chromatography Gases||Oxygen Concentrator Gas Mixes|
|• P-5 (5% CH4+95% Ar)
• P-10 (10% CH4+90% Ar)
|• 89% O2+7% N2+4% Ar
• 93% O2+3% N2+4% Ar
• 95% O2+1% N2+4% Ar
|Welding Gases||Stack/Flue Gas Mixes||Laser Gas Mixes|
|• C-2 (2% CO2+98% Ar)
• C-8 (8% CO2+92% Ar)
• C-10 (10% CO2+90% Ar)
• C-15 (15% CO2+85% Ar)
• C-20 (20% CO2+80% Ar)
• C-25 (25% CO2+75% Ar)
• C-50 (50% CO2+50% Ar)
• C-75 (75% CO2+25% Ar)
• He-25 (25% He+75% Ar)
• He-50 (50% He+50% Ar)
• He-75 (75% He+25% Ar)
• He-90 (90% He+10% Ar)
• A1025 (90% He+7.5% Ar+2.5% CO2)
• Stargon CS (90% Ar+8% CO2+2% O2)
|• 2.5% O2+10.8% CO2+85.7% N2+1% Ar
• 2.9% O2+14% CO2+82.1% N2+1% Ar
• 3.7% O2+15% CO2+80.3% N2+1% Ar
• 7% O2+12% CO2+80% N2+1% Ar
• 10% O2+9.5% CO2+79.5% N2+1% Ar
• 13% O2+7% CO2+79% N2+1% Ar
|• 4.5% CO2+13.5% N2+82% He
• 6% CO2+14% N2+80% He
• 7% CO2+14% N2+79% He
• 9% CO2+15% N2+76% He
• 9.4% CO2+19.25% N2+71.35% He
• 9% Ne+91% He
Alicat Turndown Ratio for Mass Flow
Alicat demonstrates an incredible 5000:1 turndown ratio, commanding a 5 slpm (5000 sccm) mass flow controller to control down to 1 sccm!
Ask Alicat: What Is Pressure Drop?
Pressure drop is the amount of line pressure that is permanently lost as gas passes through an instrument in a gas line. Alicat Scientific demonstrates the importance of pressure drop for gas flow processes and shows how you can greatly reduce pressure drop by using its Whisper Series of mass flow instruments.
Ask Alicat: How tough is an Alicat flow meter? (Drop Test)
We drop an Alicat portable mass flow meter onto unforgiving concrete from increasing heights to test the toughness of this product. After each drop, we compare its measurement to the pre-test baseline.
In the Box
- Mass flow meter (power supply sold separately)
- NIST-traceable calibration certificate
- Alicat mass flow meter operating manual
- PVPS24U Universal power supply
- PS24VHC High-current power supply
- 9-volt battery pack
- DC Series 8-pin mini-DIN cables
- MD8DB9 8-pin mini-DIN to 9-pin serial conversion cable
- BB9 multi-drop breakout box
- Flow Vision SC™ software
- Flow Vision MX™ gas mixing software
- Industrial mass flow meter carrying case
- In-line filters
Characterize a filter’s flow versus pressure drop curve by fixing the differential pressure across the filter using the pressure controller. The mass flow meter displays the resulting flow rate required to attain the pressure drop.
See the full app note here.
Faster Leak Testing
Establish stable pressure for the leak check by measuring pressure precisely at the device under test with Alicat’s PC3-series pressure controller with remote sense port. This method negates the pressure drop induced by the mass flow meter that is measuring the leak rate with 5-ms speed of response.
See the full app note here.