Device Guide for Bioprocessing: Which Alicat do I need?
Alicat Scientific mass flow meters and controllers are highly configurable, which gives you the ability to customize your devices for specific application needs. For bioprocessing, this often means focusing on scalability and working within a highly controlled regulatory framework.
This device guide gives an overview of how Alicats are used in bioprocessing and compares three series of Alicats. We’ll also recommend devices for various settings and applications – benchtop research, pilot facilities, and GMP commercial production.
Headspace monitoring for real-time control of culture growth
Measuring outgassed material in the headspace of a bioreactor is a powerful tool for understanding the metabolic activity of your cell culture and the effectiveness of your bioreactor setup. While it is more resource intensive than simply measuring dissolved oxygen and pH, outgassing measurements ensure that your culture is healthy, that you can maximize your yields, and that you can effectively scale the reaction.
13 tools to use in planning for biologics scale-up
- Plan for FDA approvals
- Design for commercial production in a GMP cleanroom
- Strengthen your supply chain
- Classic Lean manufacturing: it’s not just for Toyota
- Maximize use of your pilot plants
- Standardize, preferably on single-use equipment
- Keep in mind the differences between biologics and small molecule APIs
- Opt for single-use equipment whenever possible
- De-risk your technology transfers
- Integrate and automate early
- Get everyone familiar with the regulatory landscape
- Scale down effectively
- Take advantage of non-GMP environments when you are able