- Careers at Alicat
- Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Senior Embedded Software Engineer
How do scientific questions get answered? How do new things get built? They always require people with a love of science or engineering who use building blocks to discover and create. Alicat Scientific has been manufacturing and servicing high-quality mass flow and pressure devices since 1991, and we have grown every year for over 20 years. Each instrument is a custom-made building block that might be employed in support of space rockets, hydrogen fuel cells, medical oxygen delivery systems, environmental monitoring stations… or anywhere precision gas instruments can advance science and industry.
At Alicat, speed is embedded throughout our organization, including the instrument’s speed of response, our speed of product development, and our speed of customer support. We don’t believe in hierarchy or power by title, prefer principles over rules, and believe if you make an impact, people will notice. Our informal environment celebrates differences, whether those differences are as big as our diverse backgrounds or as small as our opinions of movies.
We need an embedded software engineer with a curious mind and a passion to create scientific instruments… and do it fast (we already have one, but there’s more to do than he can possibly get done). You will wear many hats and work on many different components of a system. You will have a vast opportunity to make a large impact on design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge scientific instrumentation that is advancing industries around the world.
- Lead the design, development, troubleshooting and debugging of embedded software for enhancements or new products
- Develop embedded software for constrained hardware environments with a strong focus on efficiency, stability, and scalability
- Determine hardware compatibility and/or influence of hardware design
- Successfully collaborate with hardware engineers
- Implement algorithms related to PID control, sensor compensations, advanced filters, and more
- Experience in coding in Embedded C
- Experience implementing common communication interfaces (UART, SPI, I2C, CAN, RS-232, RS-485, Bluetooth, WiFi) in RTOS and/or bare metal embedded systems
- Experience writing device drivers in RTOS and/or bare metal embedded systems
- Experience designing code for Embedded Microcontrollers (ARM, PIC, etc) in a production environment
- Strong debugging/troubleshooting skills of embedded systems
- Experience with real time debugging tools (software and hardware)
- Excellent judgment, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Comfortable taking initiative and working across teams
- Excellence in technical communication with peers, partners, and non-technical co-workers
- Can mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
What we offer
A rewarding career where your level of impact is only limited by your ambition. There is no “red tape” to get in the way of you and others in the company making a difference. In addition to a competitive salary, you will enjoy exceptional healthcare, retirement 401k with up to a 5% employer match, bi-annual bonuses, and other work/life benefits. We offer parental leave (including paternal) of 14 weeks fully paid, flexible work schedules, and educational assistance. Got a hobby project you’re tinkering away with that might make you a better engineer? We’ll cover the costs associated with that since new capabilities ultimately make us a better group. You’ll also expand your knowledge by closely collaborating with a tight-knit group of multi-discipline engineers.
How to apply
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.