Senior Electrical Engineer
How do scientific questions get answered? How do new things get built? They always require people with a love of science or engineering who use building blocks to discover and create. Alicat Scientific has been manufacturing and servicing high-quality mass flow and pressure devices since 1991, and we have grown every year for over 20 years. Each instrument is a custom-made building block that might be employed in support of space rockets, hydrogen fuel cells, medical oxygen delivery systems, environmental monitoring stations… or anywhere precision gas instruments can advance science and industry.
At Alicat, speed is embedded throughout our organization, including the instrument’s speed of response, our speed of product development, and our speed of customer support. We don’t believe in hierarchy or power by title, prefer principles over rules, and believe if you make an impact, people will notice. Our informal environment celebrates differences, whether those differences are as big as our diverse backgrounds or as small as our opinions of movies.
The Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for architecting and designing Alicat next-generation electronics related to our flow and pressure control product families. The individual will be highly motivated, analytical, creative, and passionate about electrical design. They will contribute all the way from product ideation to release to manufacture and be a key contributor to the company’s continued success.
- Perform hardware development for flow and pressure control devices
- Design analog circuits that include: high/low/band pass filters, current and voltage inputs/outputs, linear and switching power supplies, operational/instrumentation amplifiers, discrete semiconductors, etc.
- Design mixed-signal circuits that include: high-resolution Analog-to-Digital Converters, high-resolution Digital-to-Analog Converters, comparators, phase-locked loops, timers, etc.
- Design digital circuits that include: high speed microprocessors, PWM, I2C, SPI, TTL, MIPI, etc.
- Designs circuits that meet applicable safety standards (CE, UL, ATEX, Ex)
- Design valve and motor control circuits
- Design hardware interfaces that implement USB, RS232/RS485 serial communication, wireless communication, and various industrial communication protocols (EtherCAT, EtherNet/IP, PROFINET, PROFIBUS, Modbus TCP, etc.)
- Use CAD tools for schematic capture, layout, and library management
- Perform simulations to validate circuit designs/concepts
- Troubleshoot complex electrical issues during board bring up and validation
- Mentor and expand knowledge base of junior electrical engineers
- Perform schematic/board layout reviews and provide expertise
- Coordinate/supervise electronics tests with the test engineering group
- Create modular designs allowing for easy expansion of new feature sets
- Expert level knowledge in analog, digital, and mixed-signal hardware circuit design
- Expert using CAD tools for schematic capture, layout, and library management
- Expert performing complex circuit simulations in LTSpice or similar
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with lab equipment such as: logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, power supplies, network analyzers, function generators, etc.
- Experience with Ethernet, USB, Bluetooth, and WiFi designs
- Intelligent and analytical
What we offer
A rewarding career where your level of impact is only limited by your ambition. There is no “red tape” to get in the way of you and others in the company making a difference. In addition to a competitive salary, you will enjoy exceptional healthcare, retirement 401k with up to a 5% employer match, bi-annual bonuses, and other work/life benefits. We offer parental leave (including paternal) of 14 weeks fully paid, flexible work schedules, and educational assistance. Got a hobby project you’re tinkering away with that might make you a better engineer? We’ll cover the costs associated with that since new capabilities ultimately make us a better group. You’ll also expand your knowledge by closely collaborating with a tight-knit group of multi-discipline engineers.
How to apply
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.